Saturday 11 April 2015

The bridge over the Inn

In my last year of legal studies I needed badly to try life abroad. Hence,  Erasmus exchange Program was the answer for both continuing my studies and get to know a new European city. The list was out on January of 2011: UK, France, Germany, Italy and so on. Hmm. I saw a university in Austria that I haven't heard before: Leopold Franzens Universitaet. Google solved my problem. It is located in Innsbruck, the capital city of Tyrol, on the west part of Austria. During winter it is the place to be, because of the numerous winter sport possibilities in the area. Snowboard bought and Erasmus application complete.


Law school

Library


At first sight, Innsbruck is the typical European city. It is neat, clean, organised, with an old town, identical beautiful buildings and the Inn river cutting the city in half. But at the same time, it is so much unique. The mountains, that surround the city, are protecting the valley from the bad weather and tear the clouds apart. Although everything is in order, there is no tension in the atmosphere. People, of all ages, are enjoying the nature and love mountain activities. When the sun is out, they head to the nearby mountains for hiking and mountain biking. 


When snow covers the mountains, the actual fun starts. Personally, I bought the Snow Card Tirol, which was the golden ticket to 87 Ski centres in Tirol. Due to my student ID, I had a discount and paid around 550 euros. It worths buying, if you intend on skiing for more than 15 times. There are so many choices for skiing close to Innsbruck. The closest, is just twenty minute away from the center of Innsbruck on a cable, Innsbrucker Nordkettenbahnen. I particularly loved Axamer Lizum and Patscherkofel, that are both less than an hour drive from Innsbruck.


Young sister in snow
Although, I did not experience the crazy Erasmus life, because the Erasmus students were not many, I travelled throughout Austria, met lovely German people and of course I skied a lot. After all, Innsbruck taught me that there are alternatives to a big city life, that if I go for them I would still be happy.

P.S. Thank you Marilia for the amazing photos!



No comments:

Post a Comment