Saturday 14 June 2014

Life beyond school- the house parties

I honestly never imagined that life in Ghana would be so much fun. I was psycologicaly prepared to live in the most harsh and unfavourable conditions, but I was not expecting  music, dance and parties. Rather silly of me! I was going to Africa and I would stay in an international house full of young people. The outcome is obvious=LOTS OF FUN.
   
From the first days I experienced the inhouse partying. On a Thursday, we gathered in the living room and started dancing a typical choreography for the interns in the sound of the famous Aye by Davido. This nigerian song was played day and night in the house, so it was practically impossible not to learn its lyrics by heart and sing it unconsiously in random moments.
...You belong to meee
And I belong to her
babyyy
You go killie somebody...
..She like e my song
She like e my song...

...Nobody can love you like I do
Nobody can touch you like I do...

This is the way i could sing it, shredded. Just like the babies. 
The moves of the choreographed dances generated from Ghanian dances, like Azonto, Alkayida, Amanda. Then of course I need to  pay tribute to Tonga. When the first tunes sounded from the portable speakers the boys started giggling. I did not know at the time what this song symbolises and even that its name, Tonga, is often used instead of another word. 



Because of the fact that many of the interns, like myself, were new in the house and also not in everyone's vains was African blood running, we were in dire need of tutoring. The instructors came from the house of course. The local boys initiated us in the most exciting world of African dance and music. While I was observing their moves trying to copy them or at least not to look stupidly white, a thought cloud jumped of my head. It depicted the Greek boys dancing. I do not need to mention that the contrast was huge. But again the comparison might not be fair, as Ghana is said that has the best dancers in the world. It was not a big surprise for me, as I had already seen the little representatives of the Ghanian dancing scene in the school doing the moves. In this country, everyone is dancing, at any time of the day, at any place. No wonder why at the age of 25 their dancing skills are almost proffesional.
    
Dancing was one of the things that impressed me instantly in Ghana and I was determined to wear it out.




     

No comments:

Post a Comment